Thai Times

New Generations Exchange is Rotary International's (www.rotary.org) newest exchange program for young professionals and/or students. I am the first NGE delegate sponsored for a 4 week exchange by the Rotary Club of Reno in District 5190 to Thailand District 3340.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Here, Now, United States

So much to write in such little time...

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Yes, these are my feet!



I'm in Phuket! We left Bangkok this morning and arrived here mid-day and ate lunch near Bang Tao Beach, which was destroyed by the tsunami a year and a half ago. All of the buildings were new, as well as the four-lane road, which replaced the old two-lane street. (This is much safer, considering the way that the Thais drive!)

Tonight we will stay at the Aquamarine Resort and Villa (http://www.aquamarineresort.com/), which is owned by a local Rotarian, and tomorrow we will go into the town of Phuket in order to take part in a celebration to give a new fishing boat to some local fisherman who lost their boat in the tsunami. The boat was made possible by a Rotary Club in Idaho.

As usual, I was a bit confused about the plans. We came down to the beach for dinner and ended up eating in the mall. This was a bit of a strange decision to me considering where we are at, but dinner was great nevertheless, mostly because the travel companions for Ma and I are the President of the Magkang Rotary Club (my host club in Thailand) and another member.

Right now, I'm waiting to go back to the tailor because I am having a suit made for me at a shop owned by a local Rotarian. I placed the order two hours ago and the jacket, trousers, and skirt will be ready for me when I leave on Saturday morning. Total cost= $150. Not half bad for a tailor-made suit.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca,
It's your cousin Ashley. I am so glad to hear that you ar doing well. I enjoy reading about your adventures in Thailand. How bad I wish I could go there too. I would love to email you also. My email address is heisstillonthethrone@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon.

Your cousin,
Ashley Ruffner

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home