Thai Times

New Generations Exchange is Rotary International's (www.rotary.org) newest exchange program for young professionals and/or students. I am the first NGE delegate sponsored for a 4 week exchange by the Rotary Club of Reno in District 5190 to Thailand District 3340.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Here, Now, United States

So much to write in such little time...

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July!

No BBQ or beer for me today. Instead, I went to an island in the middle of the river that runs through Bangkok to visit a town that is known especially for its pottery.

During a motorcycle trip around the island, we happened upon the shop of a famous craftsman who has been commissioned to create works of art for the Royal Family of Thailand. His intricate creation are made out of clay and fashioned into pagodas, deities, the royal barge, etc. Most take hundreds of hours of work.

Here I am with the artist and his father along with several pieces in the background-

Last night we went to the theater to see a Thai stage musical. It showcased many traditional Thai dances, games, costumes, music, and folklore and was very creative and dramatic. Its theatrical style and costuming was similar in style to the "Lion King" on stage. They had an elephant, goats, chickens, and even a real river built into the stage!

Although no cameras were allowed during the show, I did get my picture taken with one of the stars of the show-

And yes, that is a new hair color. It was an attempt to differentiate my 'do from Tee's. It cost about 300 baht for the dye at the store (about $8) and 100 baht for the hair stylist to put it in for me ($3), with a total of $11 (which is actually more than the 300 baht hair cut in the most famous salon on Thailand). Most likely I will dye it back to my original color before going back to the US because I am even less fond of it than the cut!

Anyways, tomorrow is another early morning. We will go to a temple in the city and help prepare breakfast for the monks that live there. I must dress in traditional "temple wear"- a long black skirt and a white shirt with sleeves. I'll pack something else to change into because tomorrow is bound to be another hot and humid day in Bangkok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home