Thai Times

New Generations Exchange is Rotary International's (www.rotary.org) newest exchange program for young professionals and/or students. I am the first NGE delegate sponsored for a 4 week exchange by the Rotary Club of Reno in District 5190 to Thailand District 3340.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Here, Now, United States

So much to write in such little time...

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Rotary Club of Hua Hin

This is a picture of the installation of the new president of the Rotary Club of Hua Hin. She is second from the left. I love seeing women in leadership positions in Rotary, especially since they have only been able to be members for about 20 years, although Rotary has already celebrated its centenial year!



Immediately after the Rotary dinner, we got in the car and drove 3 hours to another temple on the beach. I was so tired and so much looking forward to getting a good nights rest in the hotel that Ma said was on the water. What a pleasure it would be, given that I've only slept about half of the nights that I have been here in a real bed. (All of the other nights have been either in the car or on a reed mat on the wood floor with a pillow.)

This was our "hotel"- reed mats and a pillow again in an open-air room!


Try as I might, I was still bitten by many mosquitoes. They seem to like only biting me (I was bitten at least 40 times when we were in the forest at the temple). At first I thought it was the soap I was using, so I changed it up, as well as my shampoo and conditioner, but it didn't seem to work. I woke up the next morning with quite a few more, but didn't mind as much when I could actually see where I was...




Gorgeous, isn't it? Our "hotel" was right on the lake that you see here, but a little bit more to the right.

Check out this shower-


The dog helped with the morning's alms rounds...


The fish got to enjoy the leftovers from breakfast-


Thai-tanic

I went for a swim in the lake and how great it was to have short hair since I didn't have a swim cap- I could still get a good work out. And work out, indeed I did, since the monk's boat that mom and her friend borrowed sunk while they were trying to get back in it after they had gotten out in the middle of the lake. Thank goodness it is no Lake Tahoe- it was probably only a couple hundred meters out to where they were but Ma's friend couldn't swim and I had to pull her in as she grabbed on to a piece of wood. Ma sat in the water and waited because she was too tired to paddle in, as she can't swim all that well either, so I had to swim back and and help her since none of the monks could touch her. Thank goodness for those lifeguard lessons back in high school!

Some people came to help find the boat at the bottom of the lake. By the time we left, however, the boat was still not recovered...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home