Thai Times

New Generations Exchange is Rotary International's (www.rotary.org) newest exchange program for young professionals and/or students. I am the first NGE delegate sponsored for a 4 week exchange by the Rotary Club of Reno in District 5190 to Thailand District 3340.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Here, Now, United States

So much to write in such little time...

Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Trip Over and Day 1
I left Reno at 10am on Wednesday morning and got to Bangkok at 12am Friday morning (Thai time, that is...which I believe is about 15 hours ahead of Nevada). On the flight over, I read the DaVinci Code. It's a good book- you should read it next time you are on a 12-hour flight across the Pacific Ocean.

Upon arrival in Bangkok, I was met by my exchange partner, Tee, and his mother (Ma), as well as her friend and their driver. Tee lives in Bangkok where he goes to medical school and we had to drop him off before heading northeast for 5 hours in a car to get to Udon city in the Udon Thani province, where his parents live. On the way to his university, we drove by the palace of the king. It was awash in white lights in celebration of his 60th birthday (I missed the festivities by a few days). This picture is of one side of one of the gates to the King's palace.


After dropping Tee off and driving to Udon, we ate a Vietnames/Thai breakfast of boiled rice with ginger and a fried egg. It was pretty tasty. Once we got home (a three-story house on top of their tire shop on the main street of Udon), I had time to take a shower before going to the dressmaker (a friend of Ma's). She is tailoring a dress for me to wear at a wedding on Sunday and is also making me an outfit to wear for the "Cowboy Party" that they are having in my honor!!

By noon of the same day, we were on the road again to go to the District 3340 Conference for the Rotary Youth Exchange Outbound kids- there are 57 Thai high school students from this district alone who will go to about 10 different countries throughout the world. The conference was on the border of Laos and Thailand in a hotel that overlooked that river that creates a natural border.

The students put on a show with various dances from their respective provinces but I was so tired that I went to bed by 8:45pm. (No surprise, however, since I only slept a total of about 8 hours in the preceeding 80 hours!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home